PE and Sports Premium Funding
At Our Lady & St Werburgh's, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of our children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding to provide new and substantial primary school/academy sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary academy headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE;
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport;
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport;
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games;
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport;
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs.
If you would like to know how we spent the funding during the academic year 2021- 2022, please see the document below: